Friday, August 2, 2013

I'm Back....

I apologize sincerely for my absence for the past few months. So much has been going on and it has been difficult to carve out some time to sit down and really concentrate on writing a post.

First off, I had to put my kitty Chase to sleep. He was very sick and was hospitalized around the time of my birthday in early June. After a week in the hospital he was sent home with a feeding tube. He had gall stones and was unable to eat due to severe nausea. He responded well to the treatments. A few weeks later he was sick again. They gave him prednisone, antibiotics, anti nausea meds, etc. Again, he responded very well to the meds. He was better within a few hours, Approximately a month later, which brings us to mid July, he suddenly started vomiting violently, was unable to walk due to pain, and was extremely lethargic. I just knew that this was it. Prior to taking him to the vet I told Bella (my dog and Chase's best friend) that Chase would most likely not be returning home. I remember laying next to him on the floor petting him and just crying, telling him it's okay to stop fighting. I knew he was suffering and it was just a matter of time before he was sick again. Each treatment was just a band aid. Sure enough, when I took him to the vet they told me that they could give him more meds but that since he was in excruciating pain it was probably evident that his gall bladder was about to rupture. The vet was confident that the end was near and she would not have been surprised if we were back within 12 hours. So I made the difficult decision to end his suffering. It was the hardest thing I have EVER had to do. My mom and I stayed in the room while they administered the medication to put him to sleep, not entirely, but the ketamine which is just like anesthesia. I could not handle being present while they pronounced time of death. He was on a lot of pain meds so he was very out of it. I just held him and told him how much I loved him, how wonderful he was, how much joy he had brought me in my life. He was there during the most difficult times of my life....When I started getting ill with Behcet's, moving from Arizona to California for internship, and then back to Arizona again. And then the move from Arizona to Illinois to live with my mom. He developed a strong connection with my Mom over time. It is so hard to think about him. Bella was immediately depressed and could sense something was different. She wasn't eating the days following, wouldn't bask in the sun, wouldn't do much of anything. I would find her searching the house for him. I knew I wanted to get another kitty but didn't anticipate getting one soon. However, I saw this kitty at PetSmart through Purrs Naperville. She was 10 weeks at the time, she is a tabby/tortie, and the best part....she's polydactyl, meaning she has extra fingers. She has thumbs on both of her front paws. She is absolutely beautiful. Her and Bella instantly hit it off, she started giving me kisses right away. It just felt like it was meant to  be. I brought her home and she immediately fit right in. It feels like she has been here forever, it's only been three weeks. She is very crazy, hyper, clumsy, happy, and just brings a new energy in the house. Bella is no longer depressed and neither am I.

It's funny. As much as I miss Chase, and I always will, I have to admit I was a little shocked at the way I reacted to the whole situation. Since he was sick and there was no cure for his illness, I was constantly worried and stressed wondering when the time would come that he would no longer be able to go on. After I walked out of the vet that day, although I was balling my eyes out, I felt a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. It was a relief to know he was no longer suffering and that I did not have to stress about it. I was very depressed and in mourning that weekend. I got Khloie, the new kitty, on Sunday. Some people disagreed with my decision to get a new kitty so quickly. Everyone experiences things differently. This just felt right for me. I have so much love to give and since I am home alone all day it helps to have the animals around. Plus it takes my mind off my illness. It was like I had hope all over again. I started sleeping at night and not all day. I became more active, doing things around the house and just overall in a better mood. My mom even noticed stating that I had my fight back. I without a doubt believe I made the correct decision.

Animals have an amazing ability to help people throughout various life challenges, specifically medical or mental health issues. Their unconditional love and support is extremely therapeutic. I strongly encourage people to adopt a pet if they are struggling with any type of illness. The memories and the experiences that they provide are priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment