Thursday, April 25, 2013

Support Groups, Anyone?

So I have been living back in Illinois for a little over four years, and I have looked for support groups the entire time. I have found a few through Meet-up online, and those did not meet my expectations. They are started by random people and I didn't have a good experience. I want to attend a formal support group led by a qualified professional..... Is that too much to ask?

Since receiving my diagnosis, I have found that there is a lack of cohesion between the medical field and psychology. In otherwords, although people place emphasis on the importance of the mind-body connection in theory, the practical applications of this have not yet impressed me. Having a doctorate in psychology and also being an individual suffering from a chronic illness provides me, I think, with a unique perspective. I know what patients need psychologically in coping with illnesses because I am living it every day. It leaves me in awe because I think that the field of psychology has so much to offer patients with medical problems. For example, when someone is diagnosed with any medical condition, I think there should be a mental health professional available to assist that person in processing the diagnosis. It can be very scary and unsettling to receive a diagnosis and then be sent out into the world to deal with it. Sometimes people have family members or friends with them, and that helps a ton. But when I was going through the long and trying process of receiving a diagnosis I was living in Arizona away from my family. I was trying to deal with the stressors of graduate school. I attended my doctors appointments alone. I left the appointments alone, my mind swirling with unanswered questions and fears and frustrations. I called my mom and sisters after each appointment, and it was so difficult to be away from them. I did have select friends that I chose to tell about my medical problems. But I didn't tell many people. I didn't want to be perceived as weak or get pity.

Edward Hospital, the hospital I frequently visit more than my local Starbucks, offers numerous support groups for cancer patients, but I haven't found many support groups for other medical issues. I am going to call one of the social workers associated with the hospital to determine whether or not I can attend any of the support groups. Edward Hospital has a very nice outpatient cancer center and I went there a couple of weeks ago to get an IV infusion of steroid medication. The center offers a variety of opportunities for patients to attend with the aim of reducing stress. For instance, there are yoga classes, healing sound meditation sessions, creative writing seminars, etc. These are all for cancer patients. What about the rest of us? The prevalence of autoimmune diseases is extremely high and there should be similar opportunities offered. There seems to be a gap in the services provided for individuals with medical problems unless it is cancer. I am not in any way or form stating that cancer patients should not receive these services. I am statint the opposite. They are wonderful experiences that I think should be expanded and provided for individuals with other chronic medical problems as well.

This leads me to wonder something.....I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason. I have this illness for a reason. Perhaps one of the reasons is that I am meant to work in the field of medical psychology. Although my past experiences have led me to believe my work should be strictly with children, the world may be telling me that I am meant to recognize the fact that increased psychological services could benefit individuals in a medical/hospital setting and to do something about it. I told my mom the other day that I wish I could work at a hospital and go around to visit patients and just talk with them. Just like I enjoy receiving visits from the therapy dogs, I would love to just have someone come and talk to me. The nurses and tech's do this when they can but they are often so busy with their work that they don't have much time for it. I think it would be so beneficial to offer patients a therapist who would come and check in with them daily while they are in the hospital. Especially for those who are hospitalized frequently, like me. It can be so lonely and stressful.

Another thing that bothers me is this....There are so many treatment centers (inpatient and outpatient) for individuals who need treatment for substance abuse problems. Why can't there be places similar to those for individuals who suffer from autoimmune diseases or other health conditions? Places where we can go and receive treatment for our medical problems that also incorporate other services like mental health treatment, yoga, exercising classes, etc. These centers are often located in California or other places near beaches, mountains, places that are beautiful and therapeutic in nature. I guess I wish I could go to a treatment center in California near the beach where I could enjoy the healing qualities of the ocean and the sun while receiving treatment for my disease. I could meet others who are going through what I am going through, and we can support one another. Those bonds can be so strong and can provide the foundation for lifelong friendships. I know that I have met two women in particular from writing this blog that have been so important to me. They have been there for me and it has been so wonderful to have two women who know exactly what I am going through. I have met many other wonderful people who have contacted me through the blog as well and I hope to get to know them more. I was hesitant about writing this blog in the beginning. I thought, "who will even read this?" I am pleasantly surprised at how many wonderful people I have met because of it. I never imagined that anyone would read it, or that anyone would be able to relate. I can honestly say that it has changed my life. Writing for me is incredibly cathartic and therapeutic. Writing about these experiences allows me to express what I am going through to the world. When other people write to me saying that what I said validated their experiences, well there is nothing better than that. I know I searched all over for people who were going through the same thing when I was first diagnosed. So I hope that individuals who are just diagnosed with Behcet's can find this helpful. I wish for it to be helpful for anyone, really, but especially those with Behcet's. Since the disease is so rare it can be that much more isolating and the need to seek others who can relate is huge. 

If anyone knows of any support groups in Naperville or surrounding areas, please let me know! If anyone has attended any support groups (chronic pain or other groups) anywhere and is willing to share their experiences, please do so! I would love to hear if these groups helped and how they helped. I hope everyone is doing well. To those who may be struggling, hang in there and stay POSITIVE. I try every single day to combat those pesky negative thoughts with positive ones. It is a constant struggle. But keep with it, because the mind is a very powerful tool we can use to cope with the many obstacles we are faced with.

1 comment:

  1. Mandi...Wouldn't It Be Nice To Be Able To Start A Treatment Center? What A Dream That Would Be...We Have The Mental Well Being Covered With Your Talent And Degree... We've Got Nursing Covered By Yours Truly...Now All We Need Is A Financial Backer ;) Write Some New Posts!! Kristi

    ReplyDelete